Friday, December 30, 2011

Native American/Southwestern Mini

Hey Y'all!  I came up with the idea for my uncles Navy themed mini and box and it was pretty simple to do after I found the embellishments.  Kinda hard sometimes to make something more plain when you are used to going all out with bling and flowers, but I managed to do it.  So, i didn't wanna give my uncle a handmade and time thought out gift without doing the same for my aunt.  I know one thing she loves is the Native American and Southwestern decor.  I even got her a wall hanging one time that was just beautifully hand stitched with wolves.  When I decided on this theme...I found out how HARD it is to find embellishments and stamps and even PAPER that matches this theme.  I found a few things online and actually found a few sheets of paper at the same outlet that I got the Navy themed paper from.  So, from there...that was my start to see what I could find that was kind of natural feeling and outdoorsy themed.   I found one indian Chief stamp that I think I used 3 times in the mini.  I didn't want to pay a lot for stamps because I knew I wouldn't be making one of these types again unless someone specifically asked for it.  I had some horse stamps already because of my love of horses.  So, those fit nicely as well.  I printed a few images from online that I found of wolves and a totem pole.  I pought a bunch of natural flowers from the dried section at Micheals and applied matte Modge Podge.  I did this in hopes that it won't completely lose all the little pieces.  I used a couple charms that I found on clearence at JoAnn and some brown Primas that I also got on clearence.  I kept it VERY VERY simple.  Not a whole lot of interaction on this one because neither my uncle or aunt are scrapbookers.  I also made a box for this mini.  The basic design and layout is almost exactly the same as the mini, but there's a larger heavier element on the top of the box.  I found a really cool dream catcher ornament!  I covered the sides with left over paper and modge podged over it.  Added some animal fur looking trim from Hobby Lobby and topped it off with some more of the braided cord.

Here's the front of the mini



Here's the top of the box


Here's the slideshow with photos of the box and inside of the mini



Products Used

Olive pigment ink by Colorbox
Cigar box(from Susie visit her blog HERE)
Modge Podge
ATG
Red Line Tape
Eyelets
Twine - Natural
Burlap Ribbon by My Minds Eye
Buttons(JoAnn)
Dimensionals
Craft Cardstock
Paper House Productions Patterned Papers
Hot Glue
Bead Landing Charms(JoAnn)
Mini Grapevine Wreath
Feathers(Micheals & JoAnn)
Turquiose Ribbon(JoAnn)
Brown Ribbon(JoAnn)
Brown Fringed Trim(Hobby Lobby)
Mini Roses(Paper Wishes)
Corrugated Tattered Florals Die Cuts(From Renea visit her Etsy HERE her blog HERE)
Acetate
Braided leather cord(Hobby Lobby)
Indian Chief Stamp
Dream Catcher Sticker(The paper studio)
Inkadinkadoo Horse Stamp
Burgandy Cardstock
Dried Natrual Flowers
Recollections Flowers
Prima Flowers
Dream Catcher Ornament(Hobby Lobby)

Thanks for taking a look!  I appreciate each and every one of you.  :)  Have a wonderful day!

4 comments:

  1. So Pretty I'd love to have one lol.
    Thanks for stopping by over my blog :)
    purplekittyscrappy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just wanted to let you know that you inspire me & I recognized your talent on my blog with the Liebster award.
    You can check out my blog post for more info and to pick up your badge:

    http://jenns-doodles.blogspot.com/2012/01/what-honor.html

    ReplyDelete